CHARITY RECIPIENT FOR THE DOWNER NRL AUCKLAND NINES
THE RISING FOUNDATION
A group of former South Auckland kids and those with ties to the community have set up The Rising Foundation to assist at-risk youth and developing future leaders. It’s about unlocking the potential of those kids in New Zealand who are on the verge of being lost to their families, schools and community. The Rising Foundation does this through developing pathways, involving parents, schools and other agencies using outdoor education programmes, one to one mentoring and group therapy.
- The Rising Foundation has been appointed as the official charity recipient of the Downer NRL Auckland Nines tournament.
- The Rising Foundation has no overhead costs, all funds donated to the charity are used directly to support at risk youth. The charity is fronted by Chairman John Bongard, former CEO Fisher & Paykel.
- The Rising Foundation are currently active in 6 South Auckland schools and has over 520 children actively participating and benefiting from their programmes.
- The Rising Foundation will be collecting donations at Eden Park over the two day tournament, with a fundraising target of $80,000 from the Downer NRL Auckland Nines. This will allow them to enter another four schools and help an additional 600 children per year.
- Many of the current NRL players are role models to our at risk youth. Through support from the Downer NRL Auckland Nines tournament, our at risk youth will be given the chance to work alongside these role models.